Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Princess in our Midst

This is not strictly quilting, but it is still sewing so I think it counts. My sweet teenager talked me into setting aside all of my quilting projects to complete a labor of love for her. The big Spring Banquet is coming up and unfortunately the dress she wanted could be rounded up to $1000. (yes, three zeros) I was delighted when she showed interest in me making the same type of dress for a fraction of the price, plus using the burnt orange she really wanted. (Orange not shown in picture--it shows up further down the assembly line, it will wrap around like a super wide belt and bow in the back.)


This is one of the "Poofy Test" picture series. Obviously as a teenager, my daughter needs to be able to show her BFFs at school the rough draft of the dress and get their opinion on the poofy-ness. This is not great news for me. That is 32 yards of tulle gathered and attached to a
23 inch waist. But I did cheat and fold the whole thing in half so I only really had to work 16 yards. But still, 16 YARDS!! If the BFFs decide it is too much "Poof" then all my hand gathering is going to go "poof". However, I do have a backup plan if they love the "Poof" and want more. There is a provision for an additional under ruffle of poof at about shin level. So keep your fingers crossed with me that the dress at least passes the "Poof Test" or goes in the direction of believing if a little is good, more is better. I do not have much time to work on this baby--I am headed to my mom's place on Thursday, where it will be just me and my mom and a couple of sewing machines. Yippee a quilt-a-thon, enough with the fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment