Friday, January 7, 2011

A Big 21 Gun Salute For 2010




I have not been completely ignoring my quilting life (just the blogging part). I think the extra work hours in front of a computer make me less likely to come home and get in front of a computer again. Not that surprising. But I still managed to make time for some sewing therapy and finished the year off with a big bang!



A big job for two KING size quilts came in as Christmas drew near, but I was pretty motivated and excited, so they were done in plenty of time for wrapping. This is the Lemley 1 & 2, both are double Irish Chains and backed in their own mustard yellow prints. I thought they turned out great, and I hear they were well received.


My Mom came over for Christmas and we put her big machine to work finishing one of her 2 year projects----I wish I had a picture, she hand sewed hexies til her fingers bled (there was actually quite a bit of blood on that quilt), then we framed it and she quilted like mad for a very satisfying gift under the tree.
I had to sneak the machine when Mom was out to finish quilting and bind a secret gift for her. I think this is my LAST Embroidered Bird quilt. A perfect gift for my mom.
For the first time ever I used Fleece for a backing. My wonderful husband loves snuggley things so I wanted to try the fleece as a backing. It quilted nice and looks good, but it feels wonderful. I am not sure if I will use fleece again (so bulky), however I also tried a flannel backing for the Christmas Fruitcake quilt and really like that. My kids are not willing to put that quilt away now that Christmas is over. So I will definitely do the flannel back again.


Cindy requested something Hot Pink from the Sewing Santa, I am not sure if I actually hit Hot pink, but it is rich looking and comes pretty close.

And finally Dad was surprised with a quilt made from the fabric findings he has brought to me over the last year. He picks up different fabrics when he can for next to nothing, so I put together a nice neutral scheme with coral splashed. He was sure surprised. I tried my best to use all reclaimed materials for his quilt--I know he likes that sort of thing. Plus, it was a new type of challenge for me.


As is our tradition, Mom and I created something while we were together....this time a French Roses quilt for Aunt Laura. It turned out so fresh and bright. Laura's favorite color is red, so we dug through all my fabrics and pulled every red I had and set to work in a quilt as you go fashion (also new to me). We used my very favorite ever green for the leaves (kind of a fresh green apple tone on tone) (p.s. Mom, I know you have more of that fabric stashed away somewhere.......), Mom picked a luscious crisp white for the background and back, and of course I requested we use my favorite red polka dot fabric to border. It was almost finished when Mom left and I know she was working hard to finish it--and I just got a call tonight from Aunt Laura: guess what? She loves it!


So, a BIG finish for me in 2010 : 21 quilts completed. I can hardly believe it! But is sure does feel good.







No comments:

Post a Comment