Sunday, April 25, 2010

Quilt Lust

"Hi, my name is Christy and I have a fabric buying problem." It is true, I am addicted to beautiful fabric (and sometime unusual or quirky fabric) (and sometimes ugly fabric). You see what I mean? It is a problem. The most difficult part of my addiction is obviously the financial element, but beyond that there is the storage element, my sewing mess, time involvement... I have pretty much taken over the Red Couch Room, but I am careful to always call it the Red Couch Room as opposed to my sewing room, in a semi-subconscious way to try to down-play my addiction and all the space it takes up. One of my sons told me last week that I could take over his room for sewing after my oldest moves out, cause he wants her room. So I am guessing my "non-sewing room" sewing room ploy is even seen through by a 10 year old.

I am coveting like crazy the mermaid fabric in the Free Spirit line by Heather Ross. And I am having a difficult time getting my hands on even a half yard. Every time I think I am getting close to it, those little mermaids just swim right out of reach. Crafty! So crafty in fact, I cannot even grab a picture to post for your pleasure.


Speaking of crazy woman, I wanted to do something outside of my norm so I started with a yummy handful of fabrics:




Don't those colors make you think of some tropical drink?

Then I guessed at how to make a "Wonky Star". My figures did not come out just right, my split block is not square. You can see that I am going to have to find it in me to trim the hang-over on all four sides. Also I learned another hard lesson--if you want all your stars to go the same way, you can't cut the fabric folded in half. I have another pile of cuts which will make stars that are opposite of these. Maybe just maybe there will be enough to bang out another top.















This is my favorite of all the fabrics. I might just have to use this one on the back also. It really ties them all together, don't you think? The fabulous stripe is my second favorite, plus it has a great feel to it. I am thinking binding......

So here is what I have so far. I think I will just sit for a few minutes and admire them. lol


















Here is an update on my Zig Zag quilt. I am still loving the aqua and red combo. I was so excited to see how it would look together I just sewed together what I had done so far. The width is just right, ummm but five rows of length is a bit awkward.
















Something I think is really strange; I have these two and a good number of other quilts which I am working on, but my mind is already lusting after the next project. I probably have a dozen quilts started and in varying stages of production and a few stashes of little beginnings (ie, fussy cut stars, waiting for accumulation...), but even as I write I am lusting after another quilt I have been wanting to make, a ragged edge circle quilt. Call me crazy!
(...or maybe I could make that hourglass quilt)
(...or there is that hexagon one I am itching to try)
(...and wonky stars...)

1 comment:

  1. Wow girl you are really a DIEHARD, CRAZY QUILTING MOMMA! I love you writing, it's so fun to read! Keep it up. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete